By Ling-Ling Lisa Shih
The secret to learning a foreign language is seeking every possible opportunity to use the target language. The more you use it, the better it gets. Now with the internet, you can easily find a language partner from different parts of the world and communicate with a native speaker or a speaker who is a fluent speaker of the target language you are learning.
There are several websites and apps that you can sign up for free to find a partner to exchange languages.
When people are exchanging languages, they take turn to teach each other their native language. Or if you are advanced in your proficiency level, you can simply allot equal amount of time conversing in each other’s target language. Communicating with a native speaker will certainly help language learners develop real world communicative skills. It will also provide you opportunities to learn about other people and their culture.
Some websites here not only help you find a language partner, but have a forum built in to allow you to post your writing and receive free editing from the native speakers.
Please come back and share with us your language exchange learning experience with us. Let us know which website you find most helpful and why.
Language Exchange Websites
Language Exchange Apps
Safety Guidelines for Using Language Exchange Websites & Apps:
It is important to keep in mind that you are exchanging languages with strangers. Anyone can go on line looking for language partners, including criminals, so always follow these basic safety guidelines to protect yourself from the potential risks associated with the internet and social media:
- Create an account using a pseudonym. Do not reveal your real name, address, phone number, or identifiable personal email address.
- Do not share any social media accounts that contain your personal information.
- If using an app. on iPhone, make sure to turn off location services if possible.
- If anyone makes you feel uncomfortable, do not carry on the conversation with the person. Use your good judgment and avoid anyone who interacts with you inappropriately.
These websites provide great opportunities to find a language partner on line to practice Chinese and other foreign languages, but you must be very cautious. If you are under 18, it is advisable to ask the permission from your parents/caregivers and ask them to help you select a good language partner.
- Best Language Exchange Apps & Websites [UPDATED 2018]
- Chatting, Texting, Correcting: The 4 Best Language Exchange Apps
- 14 Free Language Exchange Websites – lifewire.com