“要。。。了” or “快。。。了” both mean something “is about to…”
- 中国新年就要到了。Chinese New Year is about to come.
- 他就要来了。He will soon arrive.
- 她的生日快到了。Her birthday is coming.
- 我的狗生病了，他要死了！My dog is sick; he is about to die.
- 快点儿，电影要开始了。Hurry up, the movie is about to start.
- 快点儿，公共汽车（or 公车）要来了/快来了！ Hurry up, the bus is coming!
”要。。。了。。。”, remember, it also means “going to…”
- 我要吃饭了。 I am going to eat now.
- 要下雨了！ It is going to rain.
- 他要走了。He’s going to leave now.
- 妈妈，我要去上课了。Mom, I am going to attend a class now.