By Ling-Ling Lisa Shih
Tools for reading Chinese online:
- Chinese-English Popup Dictionaries: Put your mouse over any Chinese words on a webpage and it gives you the pronunciation and definition.
- Chinese English Dictionary–Arch Chinese: It will show you the stroke order of each character you look up.
- Line Dictionary Chinese to English
- Traditional/Simplified Chinese Converter
- Chinese Character to Pinyin Converter
- Mandarin Spot annotation tool: Paste some text into the Mandarin Spot annotation tool, and then press ‘annotate’. It will provide in-line pronunciation, pop-up translations when you hover over the words, as well as an English translation.
- Tong Wen Tang: A browser plugin for Firefox, Chrome andSafari: A browser plugin that converts a whole website into either Traditional or Simplified.
- Convert between Chinese Character, Pinyin, and unicode
- Vocabulary List Generator
- Chinese Sentence Pronunciation: This tool allows you to convert a Chinese text into Mandarin (standard Chinese) speech and download as MP3 file.
- Chinese (simp) Text-to-Speech Service
- IMTranslator plugin for Firefox users: Listen to web pages with Text To Speech (TTS). Just follow the following steps: Step 1: Just highlight some Chinese text; step 2: right click on the page and select ImTranslator Tools > ImTranslator TTS; step 3: then select Chinese from the Language drop down menu; step 4: click on Say It button.
Listening & Reading Resources for Chinese Learners
Reading/Listening Resources from Learn Chinese Online: 60 Excellent Free Resources:
- Short stories by Grace Feng, author of the blog “Just Learn Chinese”
- The Chairman’s Bao: Chinese simplified newspaper dedicated to those learning Mandarin
- Foreigncy: publishes select articles in Chinese and other “critical” languages (Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Hebrew and Russian) providing a brief summary of the article (in English) and a list of key vocabulary words, flashcards and quizzes to prepare you for the reading.
- Marco Polo Project
- Popup Chinese offers podcasts and tools for learning Mandarin.
- Yep!Chinese is a new platform for learning Chinese through podcasts.
- CNTV: the website of the national Chinese television network, where you can find a ton of Chinese news and TV shows. Here is the English version of the website (however here some videos are in English).
- PPTV and Hunan TV are other two excellent stations that offer a wide range of video in streaming.
- Baidu is the Chinese Google.
- Tudou and Youku: Two largest Chinese YouTube where you can find virtually any kind of videos you want in Mandarin, and they often come with subtitles.
- Slow Chinese (慢速中文)
Free on-line Textbooks/Materials developed by the Chinese Governments:
Learn Chinese with good YouTube Videos (documentaries, speeches, interview, etc.)－－These resources are for the most advanced Chinese learners.
- 每天得到15 min
- 紀錄片园林全集 (Documentaries on Chinese Garden)
- 《军工记忆》2015版 6集纪录片
- Education in China
- 2014 年 文明之旅（123 videos） in English and Chinese
- The Journey of Civilization《文明之旅》-国际化人文类高端访谈专题
- 柴静: 看见
- 《面对面》 2015年合集
- 于丹 – 论语心得
- 于丹 – 庄子心得
- TEDxTaipei （Ted Talk in Chinese）/TedxTaipei
- TED演讲精选 中文字幕
- 《经典人文地理》人物经典| Classic Humanity Geography
- 《名人面对面》深入了解名人成名背后的奋斗故事 透视名人的非常生活
- 《故宫100》-100集纪录片 CCTV
- 《中华文明》 – 10集大型历史纪录片 720HD
- 人物 People Official Channel
- 中华传统美德故事 The story of Chinese traditional virtues (Cartoons)
- 《中华传统文化故事·节庆篇》【80集全】 (Cartoons)
- 中華傳統文化故事 八十集全 (Stories of traditional Chinese culture)
- 世界遗产在中国 （38 集）
- 中国通史 （100 集）
- 中華文明五千年01-15 (all)
- 河西走廊 （共十集）
- 中国古代名将 (100 集）
- JOURNEYS IN TIME SERIES
- 园林 Chinese Garden (8 episodes)
Learn Chinese with Audiobooks and Transcripts：
Click here to see a list of Audiobooks in Chinese: 有声中文小说
Here are some apps and websites you can hear Chinese Audiobooks in Chinese:
Pick a novel and google to see if you can find a transcript for the audiobook you are interested. You will be surprised to find that you can find many transcripts for the audiobooks you are interested. One way to improve your reading in Chinese is to hear the language and read along with the transcript. First, listen to it a few times with the script until you can understand what is said. Then try to listen to it without reading. Here are the audiobooks with a transcript I have found on line:
- All the Chinese Megazines 所有中文雜誌列表
- Yes 杂志：横跨台湾、大陆最大的免费杂志在线阅读平台
- 5 Popular Chinese Magazines You Should Read
- Top 10 Most Popular Magazines in China
- 6 Chinese Magazines to Turbocharge Your Reading Skills
- Here are popular Chinese magazines:
- 读者 (dúzhě)
- 瑞丽服饰美容 (ruìlì fúshì měiróng) （Rayli Fashion and Beauty）
- 菁kids (jīng kids)
- 中国国家地理 (zhōngguó guójiā dìlǐ) （China National Geography）
- 三联生活周刊 (sānlián shēnghuó zhōukān)（Life Week）
- 知音 Zhiyin
- 半月球 Banyutan
- 青年文摘 Qingnian Wenzhai： Recommended articles in this megazine
- 新周刊 New Weekly
- 南风窗 Nanfeng Chuang
- 财经 Caijing
- 家庭 Jiating (Chinese: 家庭)
- 意林 Yi Lin
- Taiwan Panorama 光华杂志
News on China (in English)
—New York Times on China 纽约时报中文网 (Click on the article you are interested, and then click on “中英对照” for the both English and Chinese)
Chinese news in Chinese:
—New York Times on China 纽约时报中文网 (Click on the article, then on “中英对照” for the both English and Chinese)
—古诗大全 （Collections of Chinese poetry)