By Ling-Ling Lisa Shih
Chinese Language tools for reading and writing
- Chinese-English Popup Dictionaries: Put your mouse over any Chinese words on a webpage and it gives you the pronunciation and definition.
- Zhongwen: A Chinese-English Popup Dictionary
- Perapera Chinese Pop-Up Dictionary: Find the right one suitable for your browser and device. (The Plugin for Firefox is Pera Pera Kun, and in Google Chrome you can use Zhongwen: A Chinese-English Popup Dictionary.)
- Tong Wen Tang: A browser plugin for Firefox, Chrome andSafari: A browser plugin that converts a whole website into either Traditional or Simplified.
- Mandarin Spot annotation tool: Paste some text into the Mandarin Spot annotation tool, and then press ‘annotate’. It will provide in-line pronunciation, pop-up translations when you hover over the words, as well as an English translation.
- Chinese-English Dictionary: Get animated stroke order and pronunciation
- Line Dictionary Chinese to English Use this dictionary if you want to look up a character you don’t know how to pronounce.
- Chinese-English Chengyu Dictionary
- Chengyu Dictionary：An English dictionary of chinese idioms
- Chinese-English Chinese Idioms Dictionary at Standard Mandarin: Chinese use a lot of four-letter idioms in their writing, which may not be included in a regular Chinese-English Dictionary. In that case, you may find these two dictionaries helpful to look up the idioms.
- Word Reference for Chinese <–> English
- Chinese Sentence/Text to Speech Converter
- Chinese to Pinyin Converter
- Traditional/Simplified Chinese Converter
- Practice Sheet Generator
- Chinese Text Pronunciation: This tool allows you to convert a Chinese text into Mandarin (standard Chinese) speech and download as MP3 file.
- Chinese (simp) Text-to-Speech Service
- Online Chinese Input
- Chinese Mousewriting Input
- Vocabulary List Generator